Sunday, November 09, 2008

'Misadventures' Makes the (Un)cut




Well, the good folks over in the UK at Uncut Magazine that were kind enough to ask me to record a Faces tune for their March 2008 issue just got kinder with this review in their November 2008 issue.

This is in an actual, physical MAGAZINE (remember those?) and I can not find it online anywhere (if you do, please let me know in the comments). So, at the risk of my head exploding, here it is:

JIM BOGGIA
Misadventures in Stereo

Thoughtful, hooky retro-pop with panache

On his breakthrough third album, Philadelphian Jim Boggia comes on like a muted power-pop shaman, channeling myriad melodic styles (cf. Rubber Soul-era Beatles, Matthew Sweet) into a cosy little world of sad reverie and eight-track stereo memories. Guitarist Al Anderson and Pet Sounds lyricist Tony Asher chip in, but Boggia's pithy vision, leaning on his warm tenor, carries the day. On the album's quieter first half, especially the soul-searching "Nothing's Changed," Boggia channels a bit of Aimee Mann-ish rumination, while the endearingly catchy "8Track" raves like a vintage Redd Kross rocker. - Luke Torn

Very cool. Thanks to Luke and Uncut.

4 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you ARE a power-pop shaman - not so sure you're ever muted (and would never want you to be). Way to go Uncut!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger mockstar said...

Nice. They got it.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Dom Ward said...

From the UK myself, Im glad to see that more people over here are getting to know your music. As a recent owner of misadventures, which I have become infatuated with, I have to know, are there any plans for you to come over here for a tour?

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jim Boggia said...

Thanks to you all for such kind words.

@Dom Ward - YES! I am planning on getting back to the UK and putting some shows together. Hit me up on MySpace or Facebook and let me know where you are in the UK and if you have any spots you think I should check out playing. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home